PvE - The Murder of Prelex

Go down

PvE - The Murder of Prelex

Post  Korhdril on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:10 am

(We now rejoin Nocturnal Illusions' dungeon guides, already in progress).

I hadn't spent any time in Zeal for quite a while. Some of my buddies wanted me to tag along and kill statues (how do you kill a statue, anyway) in Night Tear, and I was happy to help out. So much money! Once we got our strategies organized it was like forging our own gold! But eventually everyone wanted to move on, and I found myself here.

Arriving in Zeal reminded me of that note I received so long ago getting drunk in Windscar. From my old "friend" Dijn, the paladin. I always thought paladins should be fierce warriors of light, but here in Estiah they seem to be more like weekend warriors of convenience. But maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them. After all, even though Dijn dragged me through what he had to know was certainly a trap in Cyneth (I mean, come on, I saw it for a trap the instant we walked in), I suppose he was a good-hearted chap. And no harm done, right? The scars I got from that demon have almost healed.

I read the note again. Frankly, I've never heard of Prelex, and could care even less about him. The fact his name sounded like a prescription drug didn't help. But as I looked around, what the hell else am I going to do in Zeal? This town is so boring, any diversion would be welcome. I admit, in the back of my mind there was a little conscience screaming at me "No...!! This is Dijn we're talking about! We're just going to get dragged into something we're not prepared for and will probably just piss us off!" That voice became slurred and then quiet after enough ale, though, so indeed I went looking for Dijn.

But where to start? I decided to try Zeal's version of mass transit. In the interest of saving time it seemed to be a good idea, even though getting teleported around town by being dematerialized and rematerialized would likely bring back up most of the ale I was still trying to keep down from last night.

"You there!"

"Me?"

"Yes you! Damn I hate having to kill the dumb ones." I'm guessing he didn't think I could hear him mumble that last part over all the traffic. But I did. Apparently Dijn had already arranged a welcoming party for me. Rather than waiting around to see what this insane monk had in mind, I decided to jump into one of the nearby teleportation portals. But. They were already expecting that.

Who designed these portals, anyway? Fortunately, the portals themselves never harmed me, but the effect they had on my newfound monkish "friends" who were intent on killing me was curious indeed. Sometimes, these portals seemed to speed up my enemies, and damn, that hurt. Other times, though, the portals would dematerialize them altogether... and they didn't come back. That was handy. Unfortunately though, there seemed to be no end to their numbers.

Eventually though, it seems that the portals have some sort of limitation on illegal travel. I lost track of how many different portals I jumped into, but after I zipped through the... 14th one? 13th? I really don't know... I lost most of my pursuers. Then it was just me and the original monk, and by that time, I was ready.

=====

Fight 1

Pyric Charge (5)
Prismatic Charge (5)
Dragon Aegis (5)
Florian's Utopia (5)
Lawful Will (5)
Crystal of the Dawn (5)
Microgyne Refractor (4)
Boreal Spear (3)
Lightflake (5)
Lull Slice (5)
Fury of the Elements (5)
Crimson Devil (5)
Trailblazer (5)
Peaceful Wave (2)

I played with a few different gear-sets, and auras have been the most reliable for me. This gear is made up mostly of auras getting extended as far as possible. Lightflake is in here as preparation for when it's down to just you and the monk, so you're doing enough damage to kill him before you exhaust. The portal has 41 spirit, and eliminates all of the other enemies with its last charm. So the goal is to last until that point, then kill the remaining monk yourself. Your enemies do mostly melee damage, but will occasionally do a small magic damage that doesn't hurt, but combos with the main monk's charms to put a -melee ongoing on you. Sometimes you'll find yourself killing the main monk before the end, and you'll have to kill him a second time to finish this step. There's an achievement for that, if you're interested in those sorts of things.

Last edited by Korhdril on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot pve in title)
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PvE - The Murder of Prelex

I forgot how much I hate this town. Thanks for reminding me, Zeal! Anyway, with the monks disposed of, I set about looking for Dijn. I didn't have to search for long though; apparently he'd already gotten word of my run-in with my new (and now former) friends in the portals, and came running up to me.

"It's you!" Dijn smiles, but looks very agitated.

"Yeah. Uh. OK, what's up, Dijn? I know you didn't call me here just to say hi."

Dijn looks briefly hurt by that comment, but soldiers on. "My dear friend Prelex has been murdered. It was considered natural causes, but I know he was killed by friends of these monks." He then looks a little guilty. "I mean, it's really good to see you."

"Yes yes, whatever. Let's just go kill whatever you need me to kill, OK?"

Given our history in Cyneth, I know Dijn's penchant for pissing off the wrong people. I'm sure I won't be disappointed here, either. We're in a pretty run-down part of Zeal, which surprises me, considering how stuck on itself this town is. I assumed everyone was at least middle-class-ish at worst, and here we are in what are decidedly slumlike alleyways. Dijn doesn't seem to notice the surroundings, intent on finding these supposed murderers. I, however, can't help but cringe at the stink and constant noise.

"AHA!" Dijn excitedly finds what he's looking for and runs into a run-down shack that looks like all the others around here. "I knew it! You two!" I join him a second or two afterward, and see two very well-dressed... priests? monks? clerics? looking very out of place in this neighborhood. Religion was never my strong point, and considering everyone I run into in Estiah seems to be trying to kill me, whether intentionally (like most encounters) or unintentionally (like Dijn), I don't bother learning much about their motivations.

The first, a distinguished looking chap, casually looks at Dijn. "You will die, meddlesome paladin." Emerging a bit from the shadows behind him is a strikingly gorgeous companion. I consider joining whatever religious sect she belongs to, even if it means killing Dijn (which has always been a semi-appealing idea, I admit), until her gaze turns from Dijn to me. And one cold, cold gaze it is. It's clear there's no room for love, or at least lust, in those eyes - there's too much determination and ambition. So while my lower half still wants to kill Dijn and join up with her, my brain wins out and decides to help him finish these two.

Dijn, looking at me a little oddly, as if he can read my, uh, thoughts about the slinky woman standing in front of us, whispers, "Are you ready?"

"Sure, uh, yeah, OK. Do you know what skills these two have?"

Dijn says brightly, "No idea. Let's get 'em!"

A few minutes later I'm still wondering why I'm following this guy around. These two priests we're facing are no amateurs, and they coordinate with each other exceptionally well. Somehow, the hot little minx I've been salivating over is empowering Hammond, the monk who seemed to know Dijn, to attack us rapidly, and exhaust us just as rapidly. She's also clearly healing both of them, which really starts to piss me off.

Dijn, on the other hand, seems to have forgotten anything he may have once known about strategy, and is just throwing out any charm he can get his hands on randomly. Thanks, buddy. Occasionally I'd manage to grab his attention, and we'd be able to coordinate our actions into some nifty combo, but most of the time he's just flailing around at strategy. More than once, he and I have to slip out and regroup, and try again.

=====

Fight 2

Death Sentence (5)
Strike (5)
Accoutrement of Misery (5)
Left Hook (5)
Magebane Poison (4)
Poisonous Fog (5)
Persistent Disease (5)
Grallan's Rancor (3)
Trailblazer (5)
Heartseeker (2)
Night Cloak (5)
Blood Aegis (5)
Side Effect (5)
Petrification (2)
Ukko's Indifference (2)
Fury of the Elements (1)

Welcome to a true RNG suckfest, the Murder of APs. This gear has about a 40% success rate, and I've tried so many different ones, I've decided I'm happy with that. I can't really give you a core "strategy", because the two opponents coordinate so well you just have to rely on hope. This dungeon is really designed around charm combos - there are at least five different combos you can activate with Dijn. Of course, Dijn is randomized here, so sometimes you can pull off multiple combos, and sometimes he plays the same useless charms over and over. Two of the combos require 25k charms (one is Abyss) that I don't have. At a minimum, you want Strike x5 and Trailblazer x5 in your gear (and for the following fights) as Dijn will combo off of those. Once you complete this dungeon a few times, you can throw in Accoutrement of Misery too, which you can combo off yourself with Trailblazer too. Even connecting on some combos, though, doesn't guarantee success here. Hammond uses spirit damage. Often it's nothing, but occasionally he'll project 10 spirit damage off of armor (projecting spirit off armor... wtf?). Meanwhile, the priestess has some nasty charms that either give Hammond an extra action, or worse, heal both of them if who she targets has no ward. And of course, often, Dijn has no ward. If Hammond does die, then she actually gives herself the extra action, and both heals will hit her instead of being split, making her a nigh-impossible opponent to kill one on one before you exhaust. Good, um, luck.

Far and away, the most "difficult" fight in this dungeon.

Last edited by Korhdril on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:36 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : grr typos)
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

"Well gee, Dijn, that was just a barrel of fun. Mind if I take a few weeks off and get back to you on this whole murder investigation thing?" I start to edge for the door, hoping to bolt.

"My friend, it's just a flesh wound! We're on the right trail, I know it!"

I look longingly at the now cooling corpse of the once very hot priestess and sigh. Ah well. Maybe helping a paladin will mean some extra karma for me some day. On our way out I kick Hammond's head for good measure.

But I never actually make it do the door. A huge booming voice comes out of nowhere. Just when I thought this couldn't possible get any worse, we've met yet another demon.

"What the hell is your attraction to these things, Dijn?"

"Attraction??" Dijn looks genuinely hurt. "I wish I knew! I swear to you I didn't expect this!"

Yeah. At least this time there's no curvaceous body to distract me. I hate demons. This demon, though, is a little strange. It's actually smaller than I expected, and just looks a lot more angry. Usually the demons I've seen around this country are smug and overconfident. This one is just pissed, with a generous helping of disdain thrown in.

At first it seems like we have no chance. Dijn is concentrating hard, or at least looks he is; his charm selection still seems pretty scattershot. But I noticed something this time around. Whenever he and I coordinate, the demon looks visibly pained. If only we could find a way to capitalize on that...

=====

Fight 3

Strike (5)
Crimson Devil (5)
Metal Melt (5)
Diamond Claws (5)
Embroidered Robe (5)
Pyric Charge (5)
Ukko's Indifference (2)
Fist of Hades (5)
Trailblazer (5)
Accoutrement of Misery (4)

The shade plays a huge amount of armor/ward, so direct damage isn't really possible. The key to this fight is charm combos, preferably with Dijn. Strike x5 and Trailblazer x5 are likely enough, and I short-deck this one to make sure those come up often enough to coordinate with Dijn's charms. I've also thrown in a handful of "enemy loses life equal to armor destroyed" and such for lulz, to do a little extra damage, and Crimson Devils, which is direct life damage. The shade takes 125 damage each time you and Dijn combo charms (hence his "Contempt for Fellowship") and has 625 total hp. He does heal himself by putting a 1-turn curse on you and Dijn, but since it's a curse there's no point worrying about it. If you have a handful of combos come up, you'll win this easily.

Last edited by Korhdril on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korhdril on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:15 am

"I really hate demons." I look over, but Dijn really looks worn.

"I'm... not sure... this was such a good idea."

Dijn, my companion of understatement. He's constantly surprised that his ideas don't work out.

"Well at least now you have your answer. Prelex was obviously in over his head. Let's file this away as a lesson learned and move on." I pat him on the shoulder.

"Very well, my..." He's cut off by yet another booming voice. I roll my eyes. Another demon.

"ESTIAH HEROS! PREPARE TO MEET YOUR DOOM!"

"Hail, demon! I'm married! You can't scare me!"

The demon looks genuinely perplexed. "MARRIED YOU SAY?" He's gathering momentum, though. "VERY WELL THEN! SO YOU KNOW EVIL! IT MATTERS NOT! PREPARE TO BE EATEN!"

"What does that mean? Should we bathe in mayonnaise for you, maybe put apples in our mouths? Are you going to rotisserie us, or just slow-boil?"

The demon again looks puzzled. "I... DON'T UNDERSTAND." Then it's clear the light has come on. "A JOKE! HA HA! YOU LITERALLY WANT TO PREPARE YOURSELF TO BE EATEN? VERY WELL, I ACCEPT!"

While I've been pointlessly sparring with the demon just for my own entertainment, Dijn looks lost. In fact, he's clearly not himself.

"THAT'S RIGHT, LITTLE HUMAN! I'VE TAKEN OVER YOUR PALADIN FRIEND HERE! GOOD LUCK GETTING ANY HELP OUT OF THIS PIOUS LITTLE MAN!"

"Frankly, demon friend, he's very little help even when he's sober and lucid."

"UM... WELL... LOOK, JUST DIE, OK??"

"Fine."

=====

Fight 4

True Sight (5)
Energy Bloom (5)
Trailblazer (5)
Strike (5)
Fury of the Elements (5)
Fist of Hades (5)
Diamond Claws (5)
Borrowed Time (5)
Desolate (5)
Cleansing Dance (5)
Accoutrement of Misery (4)
Faked Mercy (4)
Gorgon Shield (5)

This is actually a fun encounter, and can, as best I can tell, be tackled in many different ways. Again, one of the major keys is combo-ing with Dijn. One of the combos you can afflict the demon with, and multiple times at that, is Bonded Blades. This destroys 100 armor on the demon every single turn, and also does a permanent 6 melee damage bane (in reality, it's not permanent but 100 turns, which might as well be permanent). Because you will be eliminating armor, melee damage is where you want to key, as you won't be able to overcome his ward using magic. The demon carries auras that give him both +ongoing damage (both melee and magic) and armor/ward. I use purges because I can, but anything that reduces auras can work here. Or you can just ignore that, too. Dijn and the combos you make with him will give you plenty of defenses for the most part to survive long enough. Borrowed Time is fun to use here, because unlike prior fights, Dijn now has infinite spirit. So giving him multiple turns just means he gets to do all sorts of fun stuff to the demon without getting hit back. The demon also does a "Feast of Gloom" that damages him for 96, but then heals him as a magic drain bane. If you have ward (and you likely will stack up quite a bit, thanks to Dijn), then you can completely ignore that, and plan on the demon taking an automatic 96 damage every 4 turns or so (maybe 5?). Unlike the previous two encounters as well, Dijn here has a set charm route instead of randomly playing mindlessly, which means with the right mix of charms yourself you can pretty much guarantee you'll get good combos. Some combos you and he trigger will also trigger additional combos - which heal both of you and are very handy.

The Murder of Prelex is all about those combos. As mentioned earlier, there are two 25,000 gold charms you can make to make this dungeon even easier, but I'm too cheap, and I'm not sure those two charms have any use outside of this place. The final reward charms are [Gloom Knell], a charm you'll see used by everyone everywhere fielding spirit gears, and [Lay Bare], a fun-looking charm that I'm not sure is really that useful.
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  seniunas on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 pm

F1

just summons, it will stun main enemy and reinforcements. But be aware, don't use all your strongest summons, it will kill 2 times main enemy before 41 turn, and you just exhaust faster than kill him 3rd time (only summoners can kill him 3 times)

The Tongue of Thallios (5)
Phoenix Offspring (5)
Lesser Summoning (5)
Crimson Devil (5)
Mana Leech (5)
Chimera Ghost (5)
Hound (5)
Empathy (5)
Earth Link (5)
Yellow Whelp (5)
Treant (3)
Skeleton (2)
Duelist Sprite Invocation (5)
Earthen Spirit (1)
Invoked Bear Claws (3)

http://wl.attrib.org/estiah/replay/795e6dc9

F2

banes aren't best way here, i used just brutal force with some wp and strike/trailblaizer for combo Very Happy

Fury of the Elements (5)
Ukko's Indifference (1)
Nature's Claw (5)
Trailblazer (3)
Inner Burst (5)
Forest Medicine (5)
Lawful Will (5)
Night Cloak (5)
Wind Demon Claws (5)
Claws of Dark Wisdom (5)
Glorious Puncher (5)
Left Hook (5)
Luminous Idea (5)
Strike (5)

http://wl.attrib.org/estiah/replay/2b63d73e

F3

as a champion i showed him that having tons of armor and ward isn't good idea Very Happy so if you not champion, use kordhill way instead Smile

Diamond Claws (5)
Fist of Hades (5)
Champion's Sigil (5)
Inner Burst (5)
Metal Melt (5)
Weaver's Gloves (5)

http://wl.attrib.org/estiah/replay/60fcd8b7

F4

pretty much same as kordhill, bonded blades and just smashed with melee

seniunas

View user profile

Back to top Go down