PvE - That Bitter Noutishment (below level 35)

Go down

PvE - That Bitter Noutishment (below level 35)

Post  Korhdril on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 am

I've just hit this place with my alt at level 27. Originally with Korhdril I never had the chance to view it below level 35 since the dungeon was released after I'd already passed that. So, rejoice! I get to go back and try out one of the "scaled leveling" dungeons after all! Little did I know...

Fight 1 - Breaking Dawn?
Oh good, more vampires. As with most vampiric-ish NPCs in this game, it likes to do melee drain attacks, so feel free to use a little armor if you want to. The vampire will get an HP boost at the start of the fight, but still doesn't have a huge HP pool and this isn't too difficult a fight. He gets a bonus to attack if he starts to pile up armor or ward (over 150), so you might also want to use banes or summons on top of that to keep constant pressure on his defenses. I've had more success using just one attack type and ignoring the other (I use melee, so his ward does build up) to kill him before the +next melee gets too dangerous. Mostly just a "DPS" (DPT?) race.

Fight 2 - Go Go Gadget
Here you only need to face the Inspector, for some odd reason. He has 3 attacks, one of which simply gives him a 6-turn +next melee aura. You can reduce (or even eliminate) his aura by playing banes, since each bane will reduce his aura duration by 1. His first melee attack will hit hard since he starts the fight with a significant +next melee bonus. He'll also start "dotting" you up with 2 magic/turn banes that last forever unless you cleanse them (if you want to). Basically also a DPT race for you to outlast him. General strategy I've used is target melee banes, but as a scout that's easy. Not sure what your best approach will be in other classes, especially before level 30.

Fight 3 - Return of the Dual Egos
Yes, our old friends Lez and Nip show up yet again. Not quite as frustrating as their appearance in The Game earlier in Eclis, but still irritating with the one-turn stun Lez uses (sometimes coming up consecutively, which is even worse) and Hathnuz defenses which have improved here. You receive an aura that gives you +20 to next magic consistently, so stacked magic damage is the way to go here, with nothing subtle. You also get to take the first few hits, as your weird companion gives you 3 extra actions to start. You may want to put some magic focus charms in - if you start hitting Lez too early this is encounter likely a lost cause, so it's worth the 50/50 chance that the focus will hit Nip right away. Nip will pop a Protect charm sooner or later, but the more turns you waste on Lez at the beginning mean you're absorbing damage for no purpose, as Lez still has his magic drain charms which will heal him to full once Nip protects. You want to kill Nip before his various +melee modifiers really start to pile up. After that it's a matter of overpowering Lez' magic drains.

Fight 4 - Wait what?
Strategy? We don't need no stinkin' strategy! I don't even have a clue where to begin a write-up on this. I went to the Estiah forum, found an exact thread asking if anyone had actually beaten this prior to level 35. Yes, it can be done. No, it's not elegant.

The "general" idea is that you are protecting an "Innocent" who is overcome with "Despair." Very existential and cerebral, and also, it seems, very poorly executed. If the "Despair" has 0 armor or ward, the Innocent receives 4 willpower. At some supposedly specific point, the "Despair" then plays a Suicide charm that insta-kills the Innocent if its spirit is below 12. Maybe 11? Who cares. Then, once the Innocent is down to 3 spirit (2?), he plays his own insta-kill charm against the Despair. Um. Yeah. Whatever. You're just basically there to watch charms get played and hope to God RNG likes you for this 15 AP round by rewarding you with the preferred insta-kill.

I tried this multiple times, giving the Innocent "hope" as dictated in the flavor text. Most times the Innocent survived the first Suicide, only to either (a) get hit with one a few turns later, or (b) skip right over 2 or 3 spirit and go straight to 0, exhausting himself, since Despair is playing spirit against him along with a spirit bane. One time the Suicide came up several consecutive turns in a row, at which point I consulted the forum.

So I changed tacks, and created a gear full of just garbage, including Halloween charms, and some Protects to farm some cheap Defender skill. And, what do you know. Playing absolutely useless charms with no particular purpose wins the day. Not proud of doing it this way, but... I do need the Defender skill!

Click For Replay I'm Not Proud Of

The forum entry calls this a "bug", but I don't believe it is (especially since it can still be beat with nothing but Sad Snowballs and Zombie Disguises, if you want). I simply think it's an overengineered idea that got out of control. Since the entire gimmick is that the Innocent must land on exactly 1 or 2 spirit without getting insta-killed, why bother going the long way? Just let it get hammered with spirit damage for the first several turns, then sorta hope it lands on 1 or 2 and you win. Yay.
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PvE - That Bitter Noutishment (below level 35)

Post  Grigou on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Never tried this dungeon yet, but the story sounds interesting, I'll try it soon Smile Thanks Smile
Grigou
Admin

View user profile http://nocturnalillusion.forumtwilight.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Korhdril on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:09 am

Just to update this, I will say that fight 1 at low levels is virtually impossible. I must have gotten extremely lucky with my first set-up. I've failed it almost 30 times in a row afterward, trying all sorts of different tactics. Since the count gives himself 50 cumulative armor/ward every 3rd turn, churning out that kind of damage prior to level 30 is just asking way too much. Throw in that he does melee drains on top of that much armor, and it's really a joke. This is a remarkably poorly-thought-out dungeon prior to level 35 (and one I didn't find all that fun after, either).

I'd guess this was just an experiment in the "scaled leveling" concept (the same concept that made Oblivion such a disappointment, I might add) and the creator didn't really expect lower levels to take it too seriously. I've been trying to farm out these places with my alt, but I may just pass on this one until further on when the drops are actually passably worthwhile.

Last edited by Korhdril on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sjd on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 pm

You are spot on, I think I managed to beat this when I was lv30, so my advice would be: Don't even try at minimum level because you will be wasting your AP. Also, the officer in HIT suggested there is absolutely no hurry to farm this dungeon below lv35, because the drops just aren't worth it.

sjd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum