Dark Tide

Go down

Dark Tide

Post  Korhdril on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 pm

This is a cute set of encounters, something I consider an homage to traditional RPG games. You and three adventurers - a fighter/tank, Chaunce, a healer/mage, Eleria, and "deepz", Ahyem the rogue - take it on as a team.

Fight 1 - Didn't Pink Floyd do this album?

Selected gear: 15/63 charms
Armor Attraction x5
Metal Melt x5
Weaver's Gloves x1
Guidance of the Martyr x1
Nhyle's Compassion x3

Here your hardy group of four has brought a catapult to bring down the walls. The entire key here is to defeat the castle walls, which have 10k armor and 1000 hp to start. You can essentially ignore the rest of your opponents. If the catapult dies or exhausts (it starts with 15 spirit), you lose. This puts some RNG into this as well - if your opponents target the catapult randomly with their Focus, it's easy to lose quickly. There's not much point in putting a huge list of charms together since you only get 15 turns to win. Your buddies spend most of their time loading rocks of various sizes into the catapult, which count as a +next melee. The walls themselves are immune to direct magic and melee attacks, so using charms like Metal Melt on it is handy. The catapult itself doesn't attack - it does a "reduce life" attack which bypasses the wall's immunity (it also attacks all the other opponents too) by destroying life equal to destroyed armor. It destroys 1 armor for each non-ongoing +melee it has (hence the rocks). If you have any charms that do +next melee for party members (assuming that even exists, I don't have any) that can help. My AoE abilities are woefully bad so this may be easier for you to buff the catapult somehow than for me. I have Nhyle's Compassion epics in here just for filler really - you could throw in some additional focus or protect charms and it wouldn't matter much.

Fight 2 - It's not vandalism if we're Good adventurers instead of Evil

Selected gear: 63/63 charms
Weaver's Gloves x1
Ukko's Indifference x2
Nhyle's Compassion x3
Fury of the Elements x1
Metal Melt x5
Guidance of the Martyr x1
Energy Bloom x5
Crimson Devil x5
Phoenix Offspring x2
Sky's Revenge x4
Ley Line x5
Ghost Drakeling x5
Greater Flame Elemental x5
Thunderfangs x5
Tainted Marrow x5
Persistent Disease x5
Faked Mercy x4

There's something of everything in this fight. My gear is a mishmash of just about all of it with no real clear coherent strategy. This set, though, works almost 100% of the time, and I can't really tell you why. Some of the mob abilities are hidden (the charms they use have no description) so a lot of this was just guesswork on my part, and I went with a summon/bane/debuff/etc gear because if I remember correctly you get normalized by the pillars regularly. If memory serves (been a while since I created this set) one of the pillars gets a buff too if it has armor and one if it has ward. The challenge of course is targeting the right one with the right charms (virtually impossible). So my gear set does generic damage all sorts of ways. The epic charms I have in here aren't necessary by any means. Tainted Marrow is simply one of the best ward destruction/damage charms I have (spirit damage is irrelevant here). Ukko, Nhyle and FoE though can be replaced with any other sort of charm that either does AoE help to your party or does damage to the pillars. The only charm I have in here that is unfair is Energy Bloom, I admit, because that normalizes whichever pillar it hits, which can help a lot. Eleria has a protect charm she whips out every so often which sucks, because she's the party member least equipped to tank, and often it will get her killed. Chaunce is almost indestructible though. Just a matter of churning out enough basic damage, and it's not that hard.

Fight 3 - rofl lol ura slayer?

Selected gear: 52/63 charms
Persistent Disease x5
Faked Mercy x4
Nhyle's Compassion x3
Ukko's Indifference x2
Fury of the Elements x1
True Sight x5
Energy Bloom x5
Thunderfangs x5
Lightning Spike x3
Glorious Thunder Staff x5
Forked Lightning x5
Demon Power x5
Lightning Reflexes x4

Oh man, I hate to admit it, but this fight is stupidly easy for a Slayer. The big gimmick here is that the shade "buffs" himself with a "curse" (lulz), and in a big way, as it buffs him every turn for each living party member. This means after a while, the shade can crank out some serious damage, even though he also plays a self-damage charm that reduces his melee/magic output too (hope he sent a hate letter to the devs about that). He also has a dual-hit melee drain to heal himself, and a straight-heal charm that also absorbs whatever damage modifiers you're carrying (you don't lose any, but he gains all of them as both magic and melee, even if you only have one or the other). Eleria is almost certainly guaranteed to die here - he targets her incessantly and she has by far the fewest hit points. The first time I ever ran this encounter, I beat it and all 3 party members survived too (there's an achievement for having 2 survive). Since then Eleria has died every single time, but the other 2 always survive. To win, though, only you have to live - so you in effect have everyone's pooled hp to play with. Energy Bloom makes this just "lol" though - I've hit the Shade for something like 500 or 600 damage at a pop and it's over quickly. Without that, you'll simply need to do consistent unbuffed damage (remember, he will adopt your modifiers). Banes and summons might also work well here. (Again, epics not really required, they're just the only useful party AoE stuff I have. Thunderfangs is a class charm but I only use it because it's got decent base damage output - any other charm, like Impact, can fit in there).

Fight 4 - I hardly even got to know them

Selected gear: 35/63 charms
Lawful Will x5
True Sight x5
Ukko's Indifference x2
Banishing Ice Stone x5
Essence Drain x4
Faked Mercy x3
Weaver's Gloves x1
Public Execution x5
Staff of the Eclipse x5

Apparently your party members were assumed to have died against the Shade in fight 3, as here they all show up as shades themselves to fight at your side one last time (I guess if they survive fight 3, you must kill them yourself on the walk from the Shade to the demon-controlled Priest in fight 4). Here we get the "damaging" aura - you get an aura placed on you that gives the priest 100 armor and ward each turn - and the "damaging" summon - you get a summon attached to you that heals him, if you have summons of your own. He heals himself if you put banes on him, so that's not an ideal tactic here either. He also has a charm where you lose 10 life for each damage modifier you carry. So, what we have here is that full-on summons are out, full-on banes are out, cpb is out, extending auras is mostly out... what's left? Oh, he also heals himself for a portion of his armor. On the plus side, if you don't have any cpb modifiers, his damage output is irrelevant - it's just a matter of killing him before your shades "give up the ghost"... um... as it were.

Each of your 3 party member ghosts only has 1 charm - their revenge. In practice I can only use two of them effectively - Ahyem is useless for me here. Chaunce equalizes his armor/ward each turn, and deals both armor/ward destruction and magic/melee damage equal to his own armor/ward. Eleria does 1 magic damage for each magic modifier she carries, and Ahyem does the same for each melee modifier. As I whined about before, AoE is my worst attribute by far. You need to find a way to buff your shade buddies without giving yourself too many modifiers (Eleria and Ahyem will also buff your next magic or melee depending on their own modifiers). Once Chaunce gets some armor or ward built up, he'll even them out and start clearing off the priest's own armor and ward, freeing Eleria up (and after a while, for himself too) to do direct damage to him. Note the trap here - using Lawful Will to put armor on Chaunce does work, but it also extends the aura you have on yourself that gives him the armor and ward. I have True Sight in here just to remove the aura off myself, but it wouldn't matter that much if you can get Chaunce rolling with armor or ward fairly quickly (my big challenge).

I've not tried this with a straight melee-deck. Without modifiers, I think it would be challenging since the aura he puts up on you gives himself 100 armor every turn regardless. Metal Melt seems to work well everywhere in this dungeon, though (even though I didn't include it here, oddly). If you don't get Chaunce and Eleria and/or Ahyem doing enough damage quickly enough, they will all exhaust sadly and do some minor spirit damage to you when they do.
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dark Tide

Post  Grigou on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Very nice guide, thanks Smile
Grigou
Admin

View user profile http://nocturnalillusion.forumtwilight.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wazigekip on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:18 am

Oh, I like your story based writing style. Very Happy

Not my favorite dungeon though. I managed to beat it, although I had to resort to some really onorthodox charms. Especially the last fight was really annoying. AOE is totally not my specialy. I have almost no way to give allies cumulative armor/ward. Only 2 lawful Wills, even though I ran that dungeon like 20 times or so. I had to use Kyud's Analyser to get rid of the aura and even used Lethal Resolution to do damage.
Wazigekip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  revoklaw on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I use Divinium Glyph and Erythic Wind on that last fight - Lawful Will just doesn't do enough. I also don't bother trying to buff the other two allies, it's more trouble than it's worth. For me fight one was the annoying one, there's just so much variance in how much the workers help you. In the end I built a deck around Charisma that works well, but it's still a bit random.

revoklaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korhdril on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Well I should go make some Erythic Winds if I ever get out of Night Tear. I can't use Divinium Glyph yet since I'm only 46, but EW would have helped quite a bit. So many charms, so little time (APs).
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  seniunas on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 am

its really easy dung for a champion, enemys use so many armor, and i have alies, so kiai ^^
F1 i put couple protect charms, so it helps to save catapult, if accidently enemy focuses on it.

Gear 'tide1' By Seniunas: (15 charms)

Inner Burst x5
Metal Melt x5
Armor Attraction x3
Blacksand Shield x2

F2 armor and ward destruction not really works, you must destroy in 2 turns to prevent enemys from getting stronger, so best way i found, just hit them hard as you can Very Happy i use some banes and cpb, ofc as champion i have good "gimmick" sigil and inner burst

Gear 'tide2' By Seniunas: (57 charms)

Inner Burst x5
Metal Melt x5
Slash and Thrust x1
Glorious Puncher x5
Banishing Ice Stone x4
Death Sentence x4
Persistent Disease x5
Chaotic Decay x1
Kiai x5
Night Cloak x5
Champion's Sigil x5
Hyphused Beater x5
Fist of Hades x5
Strike x2

F3 hm, no armor? oh, well, we can find another way to take you down Very Happy banes worksd really nice, and enemy helps to with curses on this strategy

Gear 'tide3' By Seniunas: (57 charms)

Maxim's Special x5
Death Sentence x4
Persistent Disease x5
Kiai x5
Embroidered Robe x2
Magic Shackles x2
Faked Mercy x4
Venom Dart x2
Poison Igniter x5
Opening x3
Right Ear of Menithos x5
Hateful Flame x5
Chaotic Decay x1
Dusk Cape x3
Side Effect x5
Power Leak x1

F4 who needs so weak alies, i can do it on my own, once again armor/ward destruction Very Happy

Gear 'tide4' By Seniunas: (18 charms)

Fist of Hades x3
Champion's Sigil x5
Inner Burst x5
Metal Melt x5

seniunas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down