PvE - Fear of the Dark (below level 37)

Go down

PvE - Fear of the Dark (below level 37)

Post  Wazigekip on Thu May 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Fear of the Dark (below level 37)

My dungeons are getting more complex so it seems like a good idea to write some dungeon guides. Since the solutions are no longer always straightforward. Here is my first attempt.

Fight 1 - Skeletal Hand

The enemy does no damage. It has way too much hit point to kill and has infinite spirit, but it does have a have a special curse that will kill itself once both your ongoing melee and ongoing magic modifiers are higher than his. So you just have to stuff your deck with all your ongoing damage modifiers. Giving yourself a bonus is better than giving the enemy a penalty, because certain charms will only have an effect on you if your ongoing damage bonus is negative. 6 ongoing melee bonuses and 6 ongoing magic bonuses will most likely be enough already, but having more charms never hurts.

This is the gear I used:

Night Cloak x5
Agility Potion x5
Magic Vibration x3
Fire Oil x5
Black Cinder x5
Howling Wind x3
Tranquility x2
Shadow Catalyst x4

During this dungeon you might also get the charm Intimidate. That will make this fight even easier the next time.

Fight 2 - Terrified Leprechaun

The enemy has an aura that will give damage bonuses and spirit damage to all players each turn. It seems like it has too much hit points to kill, but those damage bonuses will help you to do exactly that. So the only problem left is to stay alive long enough to kill him. The trick here is only use charms that will give you at least 2 willpower. The only magic damage that the enemy can do is conditional. And by making sure that your willpower does not drop to 0 you can avoid all magic damage. You do need at least some charms that will do melee damage and some that do magic damage. In skyrift you can craft a whole bunch of those.

This is the gear I used:

Shakanite Claymore x5
Shakanite Spear x5
Shakanite Knuckles x5
Cast Darkness x3
Shadow Caress x5
Holy Caress x5
Fiery Caress x5

Fight 3 - Outraged Abomination x2

This fight is probably the hardest. The enemy has lots of health and this time there will be no tricks to help you. So you will need lots of damage. All those charms the do a lot of damage over time are usefull here. You will probably have a bunch of summons or banes. If not, then there are always mana surge and power surge that can be crafted in the pvp crafting shop. The second part is to stay alive long enough so that all that damage reaches the enemy. The enemy has conditional damage that will only be applied if your armor is 0. So you also have the throw in some armor charms. And if availible it can also be usefull to apply ongoing damage penalties to the enemy. The black cinder charm can do that.

This is the gear I used:

Black Cinder x5
Venom Dart x2
Duelist Consuming Flame x5
Skeleton x4
Duelist Sprite Invocation x5
Brawler's Poison x5
Living Armor x5
Full Tellium Plate x5
Heart of Grimox x2

As mentioned before you can find the intimidate charm in this dungeon. That will also make this fight easier the next time.

Fight 4 - Psychic Domination

The enemy has lots of hit points and infinite spirit. But it has an curse that will damage itself as long as you have willpower. So you will need lots of willpower charms. But it also does lots of spirit damage. Luckily most of that damage can be prevented by damaging the enemy. So all those damage charms that give you at least 2 willpower are perfect. if you have about 21 of those then you can win easily. If you do not then you just have to fill the rest of your deck with a combination of damage and willpower charms.

This is the gear I used:

Shakanite Claymore x5
Shakanite Spear x5
Shakanite Knuckles x5
Cast Darkness x3
Shadow Caress x5
Holy Caress x5
Fiery Caress x5
Wazigekip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PvE - Fear of the Dark (below level 37)

Post  Korhdril on Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 am

Great write up! This dungeon got released after I was already past level 37, so I had to take on the next level. I think it was the amateur/player dungeon-creators coming up with something of an experiment in making dungeons "scalable"... which I'm not sure is really that great an idea. I think at level (28 or so) it's a great-looking encounter with good rewards though.

I hate that leprechaun... past level 37 he's a pain for me, but interestingly the abomination encounter gets a lot easier because later on you do have help.

Last edited by Korhdril on Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bah typo)
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korhdril on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:16 am

I'm a double-posting troll!

Re-reading Wazi's write-up, it's totally accurate for every encounter. I've started doing this regularly with my level 27 alt, and other than fight 3 which can sometimes go badly even with good gear, the rest of it is very predictable. Like Wazi I used the same gear for fights 2 and 4; those shakanite craftables from Skyrift that always seemed so useless are perfect for both of those encounters.

One thing fortunate about fight 3 at lower levels is that their charms don't combo into a bane like they do later on. Generally with the summons/banes route and throwing in Living Armors, I find the success rate is about 85-90%, which for me is good enough. Especially since I was so upset with TBN in Wildhowl by this point (could you tell from my write up??).
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down