PvE - King of No Man

Go down

PvE - King of No Man

Post  Korhdril on Sat May 07, 2011 7:13 am

King of No Man

After Belial commented he had trouble with the King, it occurred to me there was no guild guide on this dungeon. I'll start one, but I'd love to see other strategies people use that are different than mine, because I've really been learning a lot that way about combinations of effects I hadn't considered before.

This dungeon has some of the best banes to be had, especially Persistent Disease, which seems to be useful just about everywhere, and Death Sentence. Running this is pretty much essential for getting Charm Alchemist later on by farming Echo of the Thunder in Night Tear (see guide for that here on this forum). You want that skill if you can get it... great extra hp. Here's how I farm this:

Fight 1 - Tortured Soul

Axe of the Martyr (2)
Shadowspawn Fang (3)
Gloves of the Martyr (2)
Soul Ash (5)
Dead Ash (1)
Spear of the Martyr (2)
Hyphused Slasher (3)
Hyphused Crusher (5)
Hyphused Thruster (4)
Hyphused Piercer (3)
Hyphused Beater (3)
Release Karma (5)
Blood Pact (4)
Inspiring Spear (5)
Embroidered Robe (5)

The tortured soul starts off with a huge armor/ward, but it can be broken by playing spirit charms. So I've thrown in a few spirit charms that also do melee, otherwise it's a standard melee CPB gear with the Embroidered Robe along with some basic ward in case early draws are bad. Nothing too complex here. Persistent Disease can drop here, along with Lesser Summoning, which is a fun little EA summon charm with low attribute requirements.

Fight 2 - Inquisitor Woeful

Cleansing Dance (5)
Moondrop Water (5)
Body Cleanse (5)
Soul Cleanse (5)
Crown of Prestige (5)
Feet Bind (5)
Shield of the Brave (5)
Shakine Defender (5)
Challenger's Psychic Shield (4)
Helm of Repentance (5)
Appeasing Balm (5)
Moonlight Shoulderpads (1)
Glorious Keepsake (3)
Drug Inhibitor (1)

There's a few Slayer class charms in this gear - Soul Cleanse, Body Cleanse and Cleansing Dance (the Novice-Sage-Slayer path is all about cleanses and projections). Soul Cleanse can be replaced with Soul Healing, a craftable charm from Windscar - it's a willpower/cleanse charm that's useful in a lot of places. Any combo cleanse charms work here for me, along with basically debuffing him and then just waiting him out. Usually I finish this fight with full health, and the Crowns of Prestige kick in to eliminate his spirit attacks. This is a fight that probably can't be won this way until you complete the entire dungeon a few times (Crown of Prestige is one of the rare drops from Fight 4), making this dungeon a classic "easier once you run it a few times" encounter, since many of the rewards you get in here become very useful in here. You can also go the out-damage route on him, just making sure you keep up some armor and willpower and throw in some cleanses. Despite the fact he only has 39 willpower, he churns out a fair amount of damage quickly. The key Must Have drop here is Woeful's Whip, which is MANDATORY to have so you can farm the Charm Alchemist skill in Night Tear afterward. Otherwise it has the same charm drops as fight 1.

Fight 3 - Skeletal Warden plus two annoying healing buddies

Nature's Claw (5)
Vicious Stab (5)
Night Cloak (5)
Grallan's Rancor (2)
Deflagration (5)
Hyphused Slasher (3)
Hyphused Crusher (5)
Hyphused Thruster (4)
Hyphused Piercer (3)
Hyphused Beater (3)
Inspiring Spear (5)
Superior Agility Potion (2)
Release Karma (5)
Embroidered Robe (5)
Illumination (1)
Agility Potion (1)

This is a fight I've tackled a few different ways in the past, and sometimes has been very frustrating for me. This melee CPB route I've been using is fairly recent, since I didn't have the Nature's Claws before farming in Gaea's Dawn the past few weeks. I used to go with a magic CPB gear, especially using Banishing Flame and Ice Stones which do both AOE damage to the group and Vita Banishment when they connect (both very helpful here). Essentially, you want to do what you can to eliminate the Warden's two healing buddies. He has a 20 round protect charm that comes up very frequently in a set pattern (like every 4th turn), so things that auto-target non-protecting enemies, like Vicious Stab and Nature's Claw are great to have here. Once the melee CPB builds up they can be killed in 2 rounds or so, freeing you to go 1 on 1 with the Warden, at which point this fight gets easier. Same basic drops here as the first two encounters (except for Woeful's Whip).

Fight 4 - King Baralas

Korhdril's gear
Feet Bind (5)
Silencing Blow (5)
Curse of Impotence (5)
Mana Warder (5)
Blinding Shield (5)
Slowing Blast (5)
Sage Mana Bane (5)
Sage Mana Seal (5)
Sage Tranquility (5)
Decay (2)
Cold Death (5)
Icy Slasher (5)
Persistent Disease (2)

Grigou's gear
Fury of the Elements x5
Tremor Punch x2
Fertile Earth x5
Major Earth Projection x5
Nerman's Defender x5
Pyric Charge x5
Prismatic Charge x3
Elemental Link x4
Earth Dragon Crown x2
Magma Shield x5
Embroidered Robe x4
(Grigou also mentioned in the shoutbox that he'll sometimes throw in some Persistent Diseases here)

Note that he and I have two very different approaches to reach the same goal. King Baralas basically just has one strategy - he hits hard almost every turn. Nothing fancy or finesse, just blunt trauma to you. My gear relies somewhat heavily on the fact that I was a Sage, which came with various magic debuffs. My entire approach is debuffing the King - unless I just get a horrible draw in the early rounds, by about round 30 or 35 the King is doing 0 melee and magic damage to me because he has just a huge number of debuffs stacked on him.

The gimmick to this fight is that you need to last long enough to get the buff you receive from the King's 1-spirit companion at the beginning of the fight. Somewhere along round 41 or 42, you receive a +600 to both your next melee and next magic. This means you need to have at least some damage-dealing charms of both flavors (or use shifting charms or charms that hit both ways, like earth or sylan weapons) to receive the benefit of both buffs. This gives you 1200 damage to do of his 1500 total - hence why a few Persistent Diseases in here help make up the difference. I use Icy Slasher, Silencing Blow, Cold Death and Slowing Blast because they do both melee or magic damage, and debuff the king by hitting him with -melee or -magic ongoing, at the same time. And in this way, I have 20 charms that are eligible for the damage buff received at the end.

Until Grigou posted his deck it never occurred to me to try to armor/ward this fight to last long enough to get the buffs at the end - if your debuff charm count is low I'm guessing that's really the only way you can complete this. I have a fairly huge number of debuff charms, so for classes where huge damage output isn't as viable (like mine, as a Slayer, or Paladins, probably Summoners) the debuff route might be more consistent. I succeed about 90% of the time; sometimes if I have no Feet Binds and/or Curse of Impotence come up early I don't get enough good debuffs up in time to win, but that's pretty rare. I'll usually soak up to about 750 hp in damage before enough debuffs have stacked to eliminate all his damage-dealing potential.

The King drops Death Sentence, arguably the best bane in the game right now that's easily accessible, plus Crown of Prestige, which is a great spirit debuff to use against Inquisitors and DKs (sorry Belial) for those of us who have no other way to debuff spirit users, and King's Scepter... which I find to be pretty useless.
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PvE - King of No Man

Post  Grigou on Sat May 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Nice guide! It's also interesting to note that you can get an achievement by winning this fight without a single debuff rune, which is why I never really tried to add debuff charms to my deck :

"Hit It Like You Mean It!"
Defeat King Baralas in the dungeon "King of No Man" with a gear that does not include a single debuff rune.
Grigou
Admin

View user profile http://nocturnalillusion.forumtwilight.com

Back to top Go down

Post  belial66 on Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

alright, so what if i don't have the right charms in the woefull fight, because i don't have finished that fight, nor have those classes?

belial66

Back to top Go down

Post  Korhdril on Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 am

His attacks all do either spirit or melee damage or both. His bane is also a melee-based bane. You should have at least Helm of Repentance (from Sheypar... way back when), which is both armor and a cleanse. I use Feet Bind simply to take the edge off his melee attacks - really only takes 2-3 of those and he hits for 0 after that. His charms essentially do double hits - for example, if you have no armor, then Woeful's Whip does spirit damage, but if you do have armor up, it doesn't do any spirit damage.

Charms like Shield of the Brave (Armor + Willpower) from A Cure in Eclis, and any other armor + willpower charms, are really helpful (there's a few of those around). Even Yoga Training, even though it stuns you, gives 4 wp and 101 armor, so it can be used here too. I don't really know anything about DK charms, but if you have anything that does damage and ward, or damage and willpower, I'd think you could use those plus your regular melee CPB. Also armor and willpower auras are nice here - things like prismatic charge only do 10 armor a turn, but as long as you have ANY armor up it slows down his double attacks (same with willpower, glorious resolve can help with that). His base spirit attack though is 4 spirit, which if he draws it several times in a row can really be a problem. If you don't have a spirit debuff (like the one you get from the King in this same dungeon) you may need to toss in more wp charms.

Because of my class I find it somewhat harder to do this from a damage route, so the debuff route is easier, but someone else who does this through damage might have better advice.
Korhdril

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grigou on Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

If I remember well, for this fight I didn't use any single Spirit charm. Just willpower and a bit of armor, mostly charms which do both, such as Fury of the Elements. But I guess a few spirit charms can't hurt Smile I also really like Claws of Dark Wisdom, which aura 1 willpower (cumul) during 7 or 8 turns.
Grigou
Admin

View user profile http://nocturnalillusion.forumtwilight.com

Back to top Go down

Post  seniunas on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 am

in first fight debuffs are better than ward in my opinion, 5x Shadow Whisper and 5x Tranquility (can't use Magebane, need a bit more dex) and he die pretty easy

seniunas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down